Leather cleaner is something we’ll likely find ourself using at one time or another on a project. We might be restoring an old piece, preparing a new one for finishing, or just cleaning up an item during routine maintenance. Some recommendations include paid links to products that I trust.
Lexol Leather Cleaner is my recommended leather cleaner – click here to view it on Amazon. It is gentle, pH-balanced, and does not contain conditioning agents. This helps it leave the surface free from dirt and grime (without harsh chemicals), while allowing the crafter to choose what conditioning and surface protectants to apply, if any.
*Note (April, 2022) – Sources have been sharing that the Lexol formula has been changed. Originally seemingly made in the USA of mostly natural ingredients – it now appears it is being made overseas, with some unnatural ingredients, and several strong additives that contribute to a noticeable smell. If that can be confirmed, the new formula would NOT be recommended. The recommendations are focused on the old, original formula that had been around for years.
Depending on the type of leather one is cleaning, let’s explore a few leather cleaners options that can be helpful.
Best Leather Cleaner for General Uses for Most Leathers
Lexol Leather Cleaner
This cleaner has been around for decades and trusted by leather restorers as well as those that work in harsh, rugged environmemts cleaning saddlery and tack. Since this cleaner is gentle, it can be used on most leather types – click here to view it on Amazon.
Additionally, it doesn’t include added conditioning agents. Some might prefer that since cleaning and conditioning is one step, though having them combined also means having to ensure that conditioning agent is safe for the leather it ie being used on. With Lexol, it’s just a cleaner, so one can clean easily with it, then choose what conditioner to apply after.
Best Leather Cleaner for Saddlery and Tack
Belvoir Tack Cleaner by Carr Day and Martin
For those working exclusively with saddlery and tack, Belvoir Tack Cleaner by Carr Day and Martin is an excellent choice – click here to view it on Amazon. Tack often gets exposed to moisture, dirt, rain, mud, grease, sweat, heat, cold, and a variety of elements on a frequent basis.
This is a pH-neutral formula will not rot stitching, and its integrated anti-fungal properties help reduce the growth of mold on the tack. It comes in an easy-to-apply spray bottle, and is a solid choice if one is working primarily with saddlery and tack.
Best Leather Cleaner for Automotive Upholstery
Leatherique Prestine Clean with Leatherique Rejuvenator
Leatherique manufactures a high-end, quality leather cleaner and conditioner for automotive upholstery. The Prestine Clean product does not contain silicone or harsh chemicals, so it focuses on cleaning and removing dirt and grime from the leather’s surface. This is gentle and works very well – click here to see it on Amazon.
Once the automotive upholsery is cleaned, it’s important to condition it right after. Leatherique makes a partner product for the cleaner, and this product is a consitioner called Leatherique Rejuvenator. It is an oil, comprised of proteins and collagins, to actually help soften and strengthen the leather fibers.
Some conditioners leave a barrier between above the fibers, where this penetrates into the fibers. After using the cleaner, it’s recommended to apply the Leather Rejuvenator – click here to see it on Amazon.
Best Leather Cleaner for Suede and Nubuck
Saphir Medaille d’Or Omni’Nettoyant – Nubuck & Suede Cleaner Shoe Shampoo
Suede and nubuck have exposed leather fibers – this gives them that softer, textured feel. It also requires a little specialized care to ensure they stay in good shape for a long time. The Saphir Medaille d’Or Omni’Nettoyant removes stains, watermarks, grime, and everyday buildup of dirt. It should only be used on suede and nubuck, and not other types of leathers.
It is a natural formula, without synthetic additives such as silicones or petroluem-based products, and has been around for decades. If you’re looking for a gentle and proven suede or nubuck cleaner, it’s definitely worth looking at the Saphir Medaille d’Or Omni’Nettoyant Shoe Shampoo – click here to see it on Amazon.
Having a quality leather cleaner, that’s appropriate for the type of leather that one is cleaning, is essential to doing great work. As you get more experience and work on more projects, you’ll likely find your self reaching for your favorite cleaner time and time again.
- Recommended Tools
- Best Leather Threads for Leather Working
- Best Leather Rivet Setter / Snap Setter for Leather Working
- Best Leather Fillers for Leather Working – Making it Look New
- Best Leather Edge Paint Rollers for Leather Working
- Best Leather Glue Pots for Leather Working
- Best Leather Clicker Press for Leather Working
- Best Leather Work Surfaces and Leather Cutting Mats for Leather Working
- The Best Recommended Leather Glues and Contact Cements
- Best Leather Paints for Leather Working
- Best Leather Strap Cutters for Leather Working
- Best Leather Creasers for Leather Working
- Best Leather Strops and Leather Strop Compounds for Leather Working
- The Best Leather Oils and Conditioners for Great Results
- Best Leather Thickness Gauges for Leather Working
- Best Leather Gouges for Leather Working
- Best Leather Stitching Wheels for Leather Working
- Best Leather Mallets for Leather Working
- Best Leather Hammers for Leather Working
- Best Leather Needles for Leather Working
- Best Leather Stitching Pony for Leather Working
- Best Leather Stamps for Leather Working
- Best Awls for Leather Working & Leather Craft
- Best Burnishers for Leather Working & Leather Craft
- Best Groovers for Leather Working & Leather Craft
- Best Knives & Cutters for Leather Working & Leather Craft
- Best Punches for Leather Working & Leather Craft
- Best Chisels & Irons for Leather Working & Leather Craft
- Best Edgers for Leather Working & Leather Craft
- Best Mauls for Leather Working & Leather Craft
- Best Sewing Machines For Leather Working & Leather Craft
- Best Skivers for Leather Working & Leather Craft